The village of Capdepera is crowned by an impressive castle built in the year 1300 by order of King Jaume II to defend Mallorca from naval attacks and protect the local population. The fortress is surrounded by legends; one of them tells of the miracle of the Mare de Déu de l’Esperança, the local patron virgin, who covered the castle in thick fog before an imminent attack by pirates, preventing the challenge. The wall defines a near-triangular space from which four towers stand out. On the inside, a small church is conserved, with a Gothic carving of Christ, as well as the former Governor’s House, which now holds a museum dedicated to the art of plaiting dried palmetto fibres, an activity used to make baskets, panniers and other objects. In May, the castle and the area around it are transformed into a lively medieval market.
Descripción Datos de contacto
Castell de Capdepera
971 818 746
From November to March: Mon-Sun, 10am.-5pm. From June to September: Mon-Sun, 10am.-10pm.